We continue our celebration of National Poetry Month with our second Long Island power ballad from the past. This time out we are looking at “A Babylonish Ditty” by Frederick Swartwout Cozzens (writing as Richard Haywarde).
Few will remember New York wine merchant-turned poet Cozzens and his heyday as a humor writer in the mid 1800s (although you should try his Sparrowgrass Papers, something of a 19th-century prototype for the sticom Green Acres.) Fewer still will remember the Knickerbocker, the magazine where he cut his teeth. But that’s where, in 1850, he first published “A Babylonish Ditty,” a quick-trotting ode to a long gone summer romance.
Why Babylon? Well, the south shore of Long Island (“the merry old south side”) had a reputation that drew men out from New York City. Mostly they were merchants and lawyers, amateur sportsmen drawn to the abundant fish and game along the Great South Bay. They came by rail and stage coach and after a long day traipsing through the great outdoors, they retired to one of the many inns and taverns strung along the South Country Road (today’s Montauk Highway).
Listen to Cozzens relive those hazy summer days and wonder to yourself how the “fickle” object of his affection viewed the whole affair. Many thanks to our guest reader, Steve Birkeland.
Stream in the player above or download audio.
- “Babylonish Ditty” Kinckerbocker Magazine, December 1850. (via Hathi Trust)
- Prismatics by Richard Haywarde, 1853
- The Sparrowgrass Papers, 1856
- Village of Babylon Historical and Preservation Society
- Clock by pogotron CC Sampling Plus License
- Female giggle by ch0cchi CC Attribution License 3.0
- Stream by gluckose CC 0 License
- Cheers by Corsica_S CC Attribution License 3.0
- Drinking glasses by EpicWizard CC 0 License
- Fireworks by noah0189 CC 0 License
- Crowd Ooohs by noah0189 CC 0 License
- Breeze by keweldog CC 0 License
- Footsteps by mentalsanityoff CC 0 License
- Bees by Benboncan CC Attribution License 3.0
- Pain by 11linda CC Attribution License 3.0
- Dog barking by jace CC 0 License
- Dog barks by juan-merie-venter CC Attribution Noncommercial
- Female startled surprise by AudioRichter CC Attribution License 3.0
- Male laugh by ch0cchi CC Attribution License 3.0
- Screams and pain by thanvannispen CC Attribution License 3.0
- Running by Benboncan CC Attribution License 3.0
- Vocal (Kiss) by Adam_N CC 0 License
- Slap by talis1942 CC Attribution License 3.0
- Summer sounds by jymdavis CC 0 License
- Writing by moai15 CC 0 License
- Paddle in rowboat by jakobthiesen CC Attribution License 3.0
- Storm by crooner CC Attribution Noncommercial
- Oh disappointed by esperar CC 0 License
- Splash by petenice CC 0 License
- High heels on wooden floor by avakas CC Attribution License 3.0
- Door slams by bennstir CC Attribution License 3.0
- Heavy surf by odilonmarcenaro CC 0 License
- Raven by bidone CC 0 License
- Grandfather clock by ollyoldhoff CC 0 License